Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Missed periods since 2 months, HPT was negative. Should I go for another test ?

Hi. I am a 19 year old girl. I having some problems with my menstrual cycle. I am a bit worried. It has been almost 2 months and my period is still due. The same thing happened to me in the past where i missed my period for like 3 months straight. I had unprotected intercourse with my boyfriend on September 4th just after my period. Just to be on the safe side I had an I- pill and just after a week I had my period. After that my period has been due. Keeping the doubt of pregnancy I even tested twice and the result was negative. I am a bit tense at the moment. Is it a problem having a abnormal menstrual cycle once in a while. I am a bit tensed about it. Do you want me to do another pregnancy test? Please advice. thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Clinical studies have shown that some women taking Emrgency Contraceptive Pills have intermenstrual bleeding due to withdrawal of the hormone progestogen that is present in the pills. This occurs more frequently when the pills are taken in the pre-ovulatory phase. In your case, you took the pills soon after your periods, that is in the pre-ovulatory phase. This could most probably be the reason for your bleeding. Do not panic about the bleeding.
If a urine pregnancy test was done after the missed period and found to be negative, there is no chance of pregnancy. The test usually becomes positive 6-12 days after ovulation, in case of pregnancy. If you are sure that you interpreted the test correctly, then do not worry.
You gave a history of delayed periods in the past. It is quite common to have missed periods once in a while. It could be due to hormonal imbalance caused due to lifestyle factors like stress, physical inactivity, sudden loss or gain in weight. I would advice you to not delay further and go to a gynecologist and get some of these tests done (HORMONES- T3, T4, TSH, PROLACTIN), also an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis to detect polycystic ovaries. Do not worry about it as all of these can be corrected with timely intervention.
I hope this information helped you.
Answered: Fri, 9 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor