Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Missed heart beats while sleeping, severe depression, panic attacks. Should I consult a cardiologist?

Yesterday after I had tuna salad with olive oil dressing for dinner. I felt like my heart stopped for few seconds while sleeping for several times and it shocked me out. I suffer from severe depression and panic attacks for two years up til now. was that normal or should I consult a cardiologist for further investigation.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for your post.
Sudden awakening during sleep as if your choked or missed your heart beat, refers to the condition known as sleep apnea, which is caused by narrowing of airway passage during sleep. Drugs like anti-depressants and sleeping pills can trigger this condition. Sleep apnea can lead to depression.Being overweight,GERD and nasal obstruction can be the risk factors.
You need to visit your cardiologist and get ECG, holter test or stress echo to exclude cardiac problems.Also consult with your psychiatrist to discuss about sleep apnea. You can treat it by changing your life style.
Hope it helps.
Take care!
Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor