Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Minor pain in the knee and ankle. Have a rod placed after an accident. Is this normal?

I had an accident 6 years ago.
My leg bone broke from exactly the middle of "Ankle and Knee".
A rod was inserted inside to get the proper join.
I still have the rod inside.
Didnt had any problems till last year.
But having minor pain in the knee and the joint so formed after the accident from past 6 Months.
Can you please advice .
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
thanks for writing to HCM,

I would suggest you to start doing some basic exercises which you must have done post-operatively, which includes strengthening exercises for quadriceps, hamstrings, gastrosoleus (calf muscles). And mild stretching exercises for the same muscles.
Also it is important to note your body weight, have you gained weight in last 6 months if so then this can also be the cause.
In the most rarest chances your internal fixation (rod inside you) could have loosen or slightly moved from its original position for which you need to see your orthopaedic surgeon.

finally I would advice you to start the exercises under the supervision of your physical therapist and you can also use hot water bag on the painful area.
if this doesn't help, kindly visit your surgeon.

i hope this helps
wish you good health
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava's  Response
Go to orthopedist in hospital where you may be advised X ray of leg to see status of the nail,preferably it can be removed under local anesthesia.Apart from this routine pain relievers may help
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Gautam Sipani's  Response
Hello, your fracture has united and you are having pain due to hardware. You can opt for removal of implant and consult the surgeon. Following removal you have take precaution for around 2-4 weeks time. Thank you
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor