Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Mild spinal stenosis, circulation blockage, has difficulty in walking upstairs, leg weakness. Remedy?

my mom has mild spinal stenosis and mild circulation blockage, however; of the past two years or so, my mother can only walk a little and then her legs get week to the point she cant walk anymore until she sits and rests. Its more of an issue walking upstairs. The doctors are telling her that her mild spinal stenosis shouldn t be causing the leg weakness nor should the circulation. What should we do and what type of doctor should we suggest to go see? Thanks! Deb
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  210
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear Deb,
Greetings from health care magic!!! I am Dr Thakker and shall be answering your question.

I very well understand your concerns about your mothers health and her inablility to walk. I shall try my best to give you a definitive plan of action for hier.

Spinal stenosis causes neurologic claudication, in which the patient feels pain on walking and it is relieved on bending forward. This occurs because bending forward enlarges the spinal canal and reduces the traction on nerves. your mom also has intermittent claudication due to circulatory block. This leads to pain in the calf on walking which is relived with rest.

However, the following factors may contribute to her difficulty to walk upstairs and we need to rule them out:

1) Senile disuse atrophy of her leg muscles. this needs physiotherapy and conditioning exercises.

2) Muscle disease like Polymyositis/ Dermatomyositis.

3) Diabetic amyotropy wherein patients have proximal muscle weakness.

4) If she was exposed to steroids in the past, this could be from steroid myopathy.

5) Hypothyroidism.

6) Arthritis of her hip or knee joints

I wish to know more details of your mother regarding her diabetic status, past medical history and history of medications. I would recommend that a neurologist opinion would be very helpful along with blood tests like sugar test, t3, t4 , tsh for thyroid, xray pelvis with both hips. we can then go ahead after these results.

I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to write back to me.

Yours sincerely,
Dr Thakker.
Answered: Wed, 18 Dec 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor