Mid back muscle strain, please suggest remedy

I strained a muscle in my back at work yesterday and when talking to the nurse on the phone who recorded my injury report for the company, I was asked if the pain was in my upper or lower back. I told him it was directly in between, in the middle of my back. He told me "that's not the way the muscles in your back work, it has to be coming from your upper or lower back." Clearly we have muscles in the middle of our back as well. Did he give me incorrect information, or is it really not possible to strain a mid-back muscle ?
Sat, 9 Jan 2010
  Anonymous's Response
's  Response

Nurses dont know to handle all the cases, you need a specialist opinion. Muscles are there over whole back, and can get strained anywhere depending on type and circumstances of the injury. Go meet your PCP, he will do necessary investigations and refer to Orthopedician.