Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Microcytic anemia, fatigue, leg swelling, shortness of breath. Ultrasound of kidneys shows cortical cysts, punctate cysts. Cause of concern?

I have been suffering from microcytic anemia , fatigue , leg swelling, shortness of breath, and moderate to severe low, left sided back pain. An ultrasound of my kidneys revealed essentially normal ultrasound without hydro nephrotic . Probable punctate exophytic left cortical cysts with possible punctate right cysts. Should I be concerned. With this finding? My H & H was 8.7 and 27,
Asked On : Wed, 11 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  313
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Debraecho80.

Thanks for your question.

You have microcytic hypochromic anemia that means you have iron deficiency anemia and fatigue due to this anemia.Now about the leg swelling it may be effect of some drug that you take everyday but you don't mention any of this drug,some female have bilateral pedal edema without any causer called Idiopathic pedal edema, but another cause is that heart failure if anemia persist for long then it predisposes to heart failure and shortness of breadth and pedal oedema both due to this heart failure.So please do a urgent ECG & ECHO with colour doppler to know ejection fraction if if more than 60-65% then there is no heart failure.Also examine your routine blood count,TSH,STOOL FOR ROUTINE SERUM IRON PROFILE,PERIPHERAL BLOOD SMEAR,IF FAMILY HISTORY POSITIVE THEN A HB ELECTROPHORESIS AND LASTLY BONE MARROW all this should be done to know the cause of anemia and after that go to your physician and a cardiologist with ECG AND ECHO report and go according to their advise.

Regarding back pain nothing to be worried,it is common in Indian woman,take rest for 2 weeks,exercise,physiotherapy,NSAID OINTMENT apply locally and if needed some oral NSAID and if pain persist after that do a xray of L-S spine and consult a orthopedics.

Best Wishes,

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Answered: Thu, 12 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor