Owl Image

Mhy blood pressure was 157/107 last night. Is it normal?

Mhy blood pressure was 157/107 last night. How bad is it? I am 29 YO. I dont understand.? I have taken it 3 times and it has been about the same.
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
I want to start off by saying that I am a physician, and that the blood pressure reading you took is not a normal resting blood pressure. It's not problematic if that was taken after running a mile but it doesn't sound like you did that. First and foremost you need to take a blood pressure reading at multiple times a day for about a week. You might be taking the readings incorrectly so have someone help you out if possible. If those readings are indeed accurate, and that number is your resting blood pressure, then you have a moderate to severe level of hypertension (high blood pressure). What is recommended in these cases are a healthy diet (low, low sodium) and plenty of exercise with the goal of weight loss. Because your diastolic pressure (the bottom number) is so high, you will most likely need to be put on a blood pressure medication. I would suggest a diuretic but you should see your primary care doctor to see what he recommends. You don't need to see a cardiologist unless your primary care doctor thinks you should. Of course what you want to do in the end is find out why your blood pressure is high. Most cases are idiopathic (we don't know the reason) but there are some very, very serious causes for elevated blood pressure that should be ruled out with some basic tests. Your family doctor should be able to assess all of this.