Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Metal wire went through hand, numbness in fingers, unable to make a fist. Will surgery fix nerve damage?

A metal wire went all the way through my hand a few weeks ago, breaking it in 3 places. The hospital wrapped it with a soft bandage and provided a sling and antibiotics . My regular doctor has looked at the hand and is trying to get me in with a specialist. I have numbness in many of my fingers and cannot close my hand. Do you think that surgery will be an option to fix the possible major nerve damage? Unfortunately, I do not have insurance.
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
It depends on the extent of nerve damage incurred. If there is a laceration of the nerve but the lacerated segment is short and the ends can be brought together without tension and attached, then there is a good prospect of recovery of sensations and motor functions provided the nerve coaptation is done in a proper fashion. If a longer segment of nerve has been involved or if the nerve has been damaged at many places then nerve grafts taken from other parts of your body like the leg have to be used and the return of sensations and muscle function would be less than optimal. Similar thing applies to more than one nerve damage.
Answered: Mon, 10 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor