Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Met with an accident and broken my right collar bone. Should i go for surgery ?

Hello Sir, recently I met with an accident and broke my right collar bone . My ortho doc told me that it will heal by itself by using a sling. After second x-ray he told me that even though the bone is no fully broken, but there are two pecks of bones that are not uniting. so go for a surgery . now can u tell me that even though the bone is not dislocated and only two bone pecks are protruding out side not uniting and this is only 10 days from the date of accident. should i go for surgery or go for a second opinion? pls guide.
Tue, 17 May 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response
I would suggest you to ask your surgeon the need for surgery as most of clavicular fractures unite without treatment. Unless assessed clinically and Radiographically, its difficult to comment on your issue.
Surgery for clavicular fractures is advisable in the following conditions:
- fragments are protruding or tenting your skin.
- painful, ununited fracture of the clavicle(non union)
- any blood vessel, nerve injury or sudden difficulty in breathing
- fracture of a diseased clavicle
- clavicle fracture with a wound over the overlying skin
- fracture of the extreme end of the clavicle.
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Rajendran T's  Response

As doctor Sangeet stated, u dont need surgery for collar bone fractures for most cases, the exceptions being listed above. However, it takes roughly 2 months for ur collar bone to heal, hence u can wait for 2 months before saying ur bone is "not uniting". Ask ur doc once again why u need surgery; if "not uniting" is the only problem (in ur case, only 10 days old), get a second opinion.
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello, around 3 years ago i had an accident while riding on scooty wherein i broke my collar bone.thereaftre i met an doctr and had sling in my arm for around 4 weeks as doctr said i can start with my job i soon joined my duty....slowly i getting pain in my arm, shoulder and in back nec also gey the pain has worsened.i have been taking medicines also doing execercises for 4 - 6 months according to doctrs,it should have been alfine by now instead it has worsened.i perform all household jobs with pain in my head,back neck ,arm, hand ,shoulder.its getting more worse day by day.will i have to suffer life long????????? kindly suggest right.

doctor1 MD

hello, I broke my collar bone when I was 18 in a motorcycle accident, now at 49, I m having some pretty good pain there and wondering if I should see a doctor or ignore it. I should mention that I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis 4 years ago as well.

doctor1 MD

Yes hello, 2 was ago I felt a soft lump bigger than grape size right of of my neck above coller bone, above v shaped area on coller bone, not painful. SHould I be worried, blood test came back normal, going to see gen surgeon recommended by my primary doc

Recent questions on  Bone fracture

doctor1 MD

My daughter broke her left wrist four months ago playing soccer. She had a distal radius fracture with volar displacement. Four months later she has pain at the base of wrist and arm swelling purple discoloration and rwcently her thumb pops in and out of socket and a strange painful bump has appeared on her wrist on her pinky side she can move the wrist but much pain still exists

doctor1 MD

My 6 yrs old child on 19 Aug 10 fallen down from swimming pool ramp and left side of his head struck at my knee. after 40 min he got vomited and seized, as reached hospital, a fracture left side of head above the ear and struck spot was press down abt 2 cm inside in CT Scan report.He admitted for two days and given eption medicine for next six month after three month dr. adv EEG test to change in above mentioned medicine bcoz of its side-effect now Dr.given valproate 200mg & oppineuron You pls suggest what ur views

doctor1 MD

i broke my radius and ulna. i had open reduction with plate an screws. i have been in a soft cast and sling for 2 weeks. i have 2 questions. 1. How long before i can have somewhat normal use of my arm? 2. is it common to get a skin rash on the inside of upper arm when it is in a sling for extended period?

doctor1 MD

please suggest diagnose

age: 31yr, height:5ft, weight: 58, There was a discharge from right ear;now doctor given antibiotics,discharge now stopped said this is cholesteatoma, but digital xray done on some others doctors advice: report is

x-ray mastoids-law,s view report:

There is e/o partial sclerosis of both mastoid air cells(L>R)

Sinus and dural plates are normal

No evidence of fracture of any bone seen

doctor1 MD

My cousin (22 yr old) met with an accident in which her Shin bone and Collar bone got fractured. Is it better to just plaster and let them heal, or use rods and plates to fix them? Would it be better to fix the leg fracture using rod, and let the...

doctor1 MD

I hit my head pretty bad and heard a sort of shattering sound like glass breaking. Problem is nothing got broken around me. I have a huge knot on the right side base of my skull. Is the sound I heard normal? Was it maybe a normal side affect?

doctor1 MD

My Wife recently undergone CT(Face) 3D scan for nasal bone fracture . She had and C-Section Delivery 22 day before. I have heard lots of side effects of CT scan and I am really worried. This is the 1st CT scan done.Please tell me the adverse...