Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Met accident, complaining of vertigo when lies down or gets up. Cause and cure?

why does a person feel vertigo when getting up and lying down.....after an accident .......actually mother had an accident two day back she is now complaining of vertigo when she lies down or when she gets up from lying position .........we had an x-ray of her shoulder and body they were all fine .....only one wound in the right palm of the right hand where she got some stitches.......and a very small bump on the right left of the forehead.....Should we go for an CT scan of the had for this or this is a normal thing after an accident
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  15
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to
your query here.

If the accident was of considerable impact to the head, you can get a CT head done to look for any TBI (traumatic brain injury) or bleed.
It usually causes vomiting, headache, imbalance, visual disturbance etc.
Vertigo, giddiness could be one indicator of an intra-cranial injury. Subtle blunt impact can also cause vertigo and will pass away.
It is better to get evaluated for something serious.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. R.A. Singh's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

Head injury can result in vertigo, bit it should be properly investigated to rule out for other possibilities.
Your mother seems to be suffering from positional vertigo, in which vertigo increases in certain position of body.

She should get a scan of her head done and also get her examined clinically.
She should take proper rest as this speeds up the recovery.

Taking antivertigo medicine like Betahistine 16 mg thrice a day will be helpful.
Any medicine should be given only after getting her examined clinically.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor