Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Mentally depressed. Have severe asthma. Want to commit suicide. is there any hope?

all of my past tragedies are catching up with me finally. I was raped when I was 12, my family was already in the midst of my brother being institutionalized at a State Mental Hospital after slicing a man;s throat and being diagnosed with schizophrenia . I have three siblings he is the oldest almost 10 years older. My parents were always visiting him so nobody was around to talk to. Also I was afraid to tell anyone for fear of how much more turmoil it would cause. When I was 19 my father was killed in a skydiving accident. I became involved in an physically abusive relationship and than became pregnant. I have severe asthma and was hospitalized for two weeks when I was seven and a half months pregnant and had an abruption and went into DIC. We lost Nicole and I couldn t even go to her funeral. I became more entrenched with drugs and drinking and left my husband. Even though emotionally I didn t detach. Finally I helped my sister get out of KC the town we grew up in when her husband had been diagnosed with AIDS from using dirty needles and was caught robbing a store.My mother a friend and I brought her and her 2 children who were 3 and one and a half to michigan were my mom was living . Eventually she went back to her husband and I decided to stay. I met a man and had two children and married him. When my son was five and my daughter Liz was 3 we were in a car accident while I was driving and my mother was killed. I always rationalized in my own mind that there are so many people who have been through so much worse. My father taught me that you have to be strong. Don t show your weaknesses. You can get through anything, but you know what I can t anymore. I don t sleep. I hurt all the time both physically and emotionally. My asthma hasn t been under control for years. I m always angry not just mad like on the edge. I ve tried to commit suicide twice, obviously not successfully, but it is always in the back of my mind. My family thinks that if you need to see a counselor you re crazy. In fact they actually say that when they are trying to hurt me. My husband has a problem with drinking but won t do anything about it. I ve been on SSI for five years and only make $398 a month because I ve never been able to stay a a job for very long because I become ill. So according to them I really don t do anything to help the family, even though I do all of the housework, cooking etc... My asthma has gotten so bad that I have had to have a port put in because my veins are shot from all of the steroids. I don t know how many times I have heard things are so much better when you re not here. Please help. I don t know how much longer I can hold on!
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  63
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. I understand the multiple stressors you have faced and the devastating effect it has had on you. I would suggest that you seek professional help from a psychiatrist/ clinical psychologist to assess for depression/anxiety disorders/ adjustment / other stress related disorders as well as assess your range of coping skills. This can be followed by appropriate antidepressant/ anxiolytic medication and psychotherapy as appropriate. Hope you find my suggestions useful.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are feeling frustrated and dejected due to your multiple problems. You have gone through repeated emotional trauma and stressful events right from childhood. Your current social situation also appears to be stressful and you seem to be finding it difficult to cope.

Since you are very distressed and have reached points of emotional breakdown, I think it is essential that you seek help. It is true that we have to be strong, but also remember that we are all human and at certain times, when difficulties overwhelm us, we have to seek help. Going to a counsellor or psychiatrist doesn't mean that one is crazy. It just means that you are seeking help for a genuine problem which you are finding it difficult to handle.

There are very effective treatment options - either in the form of medication or counselling / psychological therapies which can help you handle your stress and deal with these adversities better.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand that you have been through a lot of stressors and it has come to the point where you can no longer handle or cope with them in any way. Glad that you have started talking about them and venting your feelings. This helps and I am sure there is a way out. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1800-273-TALK(8255) is an emergency and resources number for psychiatric needs. If you feel like you are at the end of your ropes please contact this number immediately. You also may need to see a psychiatrist and the 1800 number will give you more resources in your local area. I hope this helps.

Take care.
Answered: Thu, 31 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor