Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Medical Metal Plate reaction

I am 22 and In the summer of 2007 i broke my leg in two places and ripped all the ligaments in my ankle apart. I had surgery and a 6inch metal plate was put in the lower part of my leg. I also had to have a hole drilled through the bone and a special rope (was never told the correct medical term ) was put through it to act as my ankle ligaments. I was told that it would never have to come out and would be stronger than any ligaments. Now 4 years later and i have started to have problems, the part of my leg where the plate is placed is becomming increasingly itchy, even to the point where its bleeding and i think i m going to scratch down to the metal itself! It also seems to be swelling up intermitantly and aches alot. I have had these problems for the past 6 months. Is there anything i can do to stop this? do i need to go and see my doctor? please answer. Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 15 Feb 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  646
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
yes you most certainly need to see the doctor who put it. you most likely have the reaction to metal. if the purpose of putting the plates and wires(ss wire) is served, better get'em out
Answered: Thu, 19 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor