Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Marfan Syndrome. Had cerebral bleed after a fall. Try new procedure with stent?

I am a 64yr. old female with Marfan Syndrome . In 1985 I had an AVR, in 2005 I fell and had a cerebral bleed with Lt. side stroke . For the last 10 years we have been watching an AAA and my Ultrasound last week indicated that from 2010 to 2012 the abdominal fusiform aneurysm had gone from 4.0 to 4.7cm. I have a friend that went to UCSF for a new procedure with a stent. Can this be done on Marfan patients? thank you very much for your help. Rita Connaughton YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear Rita,

Thanks for your health concerns; mesh wires and endovascular stents are possible to be used in patients with Marfan, but there are limitations, and classic surgical approach is still preferred because of the inherent abnormal elastic properties in Marfan patients. Usually, they are reserved for patients in whom an open operative approach is too risky.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Answered: Wed, 26 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor