Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Mandible jaw surgery. Maxiofacial surgeon. Get a second opinion?

Hi, I've gone to an maxiofacial surgeon in regards to having mandible jaw surgery and she has recommended me to see a colleague who is an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. She mentioned they may undertake the surgery together. Is this unusual? I thought usually the surgery just involved the maxiofacial surgeon... Also does anyone know if it would mean double the cost having 2 surgeons...
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
hi there
thanks for asking your query

orthognathic surgeries involves an input of multidisciplinary team,.
involved professionals are maxillofacial surgeon,orthodontist,orthopedics,ent specialist
this team is neccessary for secondary opinions,as these surgery involves mutual effort with combined knowledge shared by all professionals of team
about the cost and all you need to consult your doctor
Answered: Sat, 4 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

Usually orthognathic surgeries are carried out by oral and maxillofacial surgeon alone.
But depending on the condition underlying,Orthopedic surgeon can also assist the surgery for better result.
Regarding the charges,please talk with your dentist and get finalized.
Always get a dental check up in every 6 months.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor