Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

MRI shows disc dessication, central disc bulge and facet hypertrophy. Meaning?

I got an MRI. The results say I have slight disc desiccation of L4-L5 and L5-S1. The L5-S1 shows a central protrusion with normal canal and thecal sac and L4-5 disc has normal height with slight disc desiccation and central disc bulge with normal canal and facet hypertrophy impinging the thecal sac. That does this mean ? Can I heal ? Will it get worse. I fell in a store and now have back problems
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM,

The MRI report suggests a pathological process going on at the spinal level.

The vertebral column is made up of vertebrae separated by inter-vertebral discs.
The inter-vertebral discs are catilages which act as shock absorbers and allow friction-less movement.
The inter-vertebral discs between L4-L5 and L5-S1 vertebrae shows a protrusion and a bulge.
This process is called disc prolapse.
It is commonly seen after back injury.
Initially, it is managed conservatively by bed rest and pain killers.
Most of patients recover with bed rest only.

I hope my answer is of help to you.
Kindly, post your feed back before closing query.
Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor