Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

MRI showed bulging disc, fasciated vertebra. Want to know details about operation

I got toldfollowing a MRI sacn i have a bulging lower disc and the 2 discs above are dehydrated. also a fasiated vertibrea (not sure if this is the right word for it) which i do not fully understand. The options are a qurtozone injections in the spine directed by xray or an operation. Can you tell me anymore details or pros and cons on the operation? The doctor has not explained any of this to me.
Sat, 29 Mar 2014
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
50% of people at some point in their lives will have mechanical lower back pain. Any person older than a teenage who has an MRI scan may have bulging discs and disc dehydration. This can almost be considered a normal finding an an adult MRI of the spine. MRI scan is a very sensitive test and the job of your DR is to try and tie your symptoms to the findings on your scan. The best indication for surgery on your spine is if you have nerve root or spinal cord compression. This would give you neurological symptoms in your legs such as shooting pain, numbers and weakness. Most patients with lower back pain only do not require surgery but may respond to weight loss if their BMI is greater than 25, exercise with core strengthening and anti-inflammatory medication. If you have arthritis of your facet joints in you spine then local anaesthetic and steroid injections can be of benefit. These are usually done awake under XR guidance. The pro's are that the injections may improve your pain. The cons are only really that you have to undergo the inconvenience of having the procedure and it may not work or give you only temporary relief.
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor