Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

MRI showed annular bulge on disc. Is there any treatment other than surgery?

On my MRI there was shown a slight annular buldge at L4-5 with slighyly more prominent left lateral asymmetric bulging componet versus mimimal left lateral disc protusion extending slightly into the left neural foramen. This asymmertic bulge and or minimal disc protrusion lies immediately adjacent to the exiting left-sided nerve root . There is an associated left posterolateral radial annular tear noted, can this heal itself, or would it take surgery
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

As per your MRI report, you seem to have mild disc bulge. In this condition, most patients would not require surgery.

Treatment would consist of medications to relieve pain (such as pregabalin or gabapentin). In addition, physiotherapy and back extension exercises are also useful.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Answered: Wed, 19 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor