Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

MRI said broad spondylotic ridge and facet arthropthy resulting in a mild bilateral foraminal narrowing. Meaning?

Hello Doctor I went for an mri . Mri report states.. c4 c5 broad spondylotic ridge and facet arthropthy resulting in a ild bilateral foraminal narrowing, right greater than left with mild canal narrowing and slight flattening of the ventral cord surface. Proliferative changes of the right facet joint result in more of a moderate degree of narrowing of the lateral aspect of the right neural foramen, potentially impacting the exiting right c5. 7mn retrolisthesis of c4 on 5, the apex of fjusion (double fusion done 2007) Patient is status post anterior instrumented fusion from c5-c7. No finding to suggest pseudarthrsis. No cord signal abnormality at any level. c2-3 and c3-4 mild spondhlosis and facet arthropathy with no canal or foraminal narrowing. c5-6 and c6-7 no significant canal or foraminal narrowing with mild right foraminal narrowing on the right at c6-7 related to an uncovertebral spur. My pain and numbness continues yet the doctor said results were normal and hung up. Now what do I do? this mri was taken last year around christmas. Pain feels worst. Should I get another doctor or mri? How can I have so much pain and test show normal ? thank you... c7-F1 mild facet arthrop-athy with mild right and no left foraminal narrowing.
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  732
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Radiologist 's  Response
All the features in your MRI report are degenerative (related to aging and lifestyle). Facetal arthropathy itself can be a cause of pain. Although the degenerative changes are extensive, the spinal cord appears normal. The retrolisthesis present is also probably old and not a cause of worry. All these features although present do not constitute a reason to intervene surgically and thus can be managed with medication and physiotherapy. The only worry could be the indentation of C5 exiting nerve root. If you do have any symptoms of radiculopathy on the right side (like shooting pain along the right upper arm or weakness of shoulder movement, especially while raising the arm) then, an orthopedic opinion maybe needed to look into surgical options. If not, you probably do not have to worry and your doctor can take care of the pain.

Hope this helps,

Answered: Fri, 19 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor