Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Lump under rib cage, soreness. Scan and test inconclusive. What should be done?

Good morning. Im a 40yr old male, who has a lump under my left- hand side rib cage, (which is getting bigger) and sorer to touch, going from the left,through to the middle of my chest . My own caring GP examined me on his couch on Friday past, and said it might be an optic or ananoptic abcess, (I dont know what was actually said, but it sounded very much like that),which he then sent me for tests at the local hosp,but they could find NOTHING! which i find hard to understand. Coz if your body is sore, i for one, think its trying to tell you something. anyway i had 2 tests done. a scan and x-ray . While they where doing the scan, i was asked if i ever had trouble with my pancreas? In which I told them no. Alas, I was sent home the day after with a 250ml bottle of lactose .But can t see how that will help in the slightest.The said it must be FAECES THAT IS UP THERE! Ive never heard anything like that in my life. I must point out however, that I d been in hosp 6wks previous to this, to get poison cut out of my right-hand side buttock, (in which I still go to the practice nurse to be dressed every day, but the poison is still coming out and they cant let the wound shut, although its trying to). My GP gave me 2 dif courses of strong antibiotics after 3-4 wks from leaving the hosp, thinking that would do the trick, but still no joy 3wks later.Lastly, im very regular by way of the toilet every morning, so no pain down there. and weigh 11st 11lbs. Anything you could possibly let me know would be of a great advantage, as Im starting to get very worried about this lump and how big its getting. And being treated in the manner i was at the hosp, hasn t helped matters either. Please Doctor, I do know EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT, but being sent home with liquid to help you do the toilet, doesn t seem quite right to me. thankyou very kindly.
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Thank you for posting your question here, I will try to answer it to the best of my abilities.

A lump under your ribs can be a sign of something serious. Lumps in the body can be swollen lymph nodes, a tumor or a cyst.
I also recommend you ask your GP to run your blood and check for any abnormalities, ask him to run a biochemical analysis as well.
If possible ask your hospital to run an angiography on you, to check for aneurysms.
And by the way, I am really sorry about the way you were treated at the hospital, I am surprised they think you have a blockage when you seem to be going to the toilet normally.

I hope my advice helps.
Answered: Wed, 14 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor