Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Lump under arm few inches below armpit. Which specialist should we see?

My husband has a lump under his arm , about 5-6 inches below the armpit. It has not changed in about 6 months, but is about the size of an almond ... what kind of doctor should he see? Our family doc writes prescriptions for antibiotics for every ailment so we d like to go direct to a specialist since our insurance permits it.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  164
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting,

From your description the lump may be due to a benign tumor such as a cyst, lipoma, fibroadenoma etc or could be a malignant mass. To answer your question, the best specialist to see right now is a surgeon (visceral) who would perform either a biopsy or a complete excision (depending on characteristic of the mass) and send to the pathology laboratory for analysis and determining of the actual cause of the mass. Even on physical examination the surgeon can determine which mass it is.
An oncologist can also be a specialist to visit, either will help (oncologist might refer you to the surgeon for excision biopsy before managing the condition later).

hope this helps
Answered: Sat, 2 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor