Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Lump on upper palate, swelling, pain radiating to tooth. Should I visit a dentist?

I have a lump on the upper palate , I think I had it because I ate this hard biscuit that hits that spot. But the lump ocurred after 2 or 3 days. The pain was bearable but it radiates, and I felt like the tooth near it hurts too. I think it got a bigger than yesterday. The pain goes on so, I bought mefenamic acid for the pain and swelling . Should I visit a doctor or a dentist?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  327
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

As you c/o pain in upper tooth,chance of decay/fracture associted with the tooth can cause such lump on hard palate.

The medicines will just relieve the pain temporarily.
The tooth has to be restored or root canal treated .
The lump has to be drained and curetted through access opening.
I would suggest you to visit a dentist soon.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Lump on the roof of the mouth is because of reaction to the trauma caused 2-3 days back .
it can also be because of blockage in the minor salivary gland or vessicle .

Visit the dentist and get the checkup done .

Apply dologel or mucopain over the affected area .

Use saline water gargles 3-4 times daily .

Hope this helps out .

Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Indu Thakur's  Response
hi, thanx for posting your query . first check whether the swelling is hard or soft. see the color , shape of the swelling. does it have any irregular borders or any bleeding. if so consult a oral surgeon or sometimes it might be a injury to salivary gland which results in swelling. the other reason might be a carious tooth in which infection is causing swelling.cosult a dentist get it thoroughly checked.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor