Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Lump on right buttock, growing in size. Taking augmentin, metronizadole. Treatment?

Hi my name is XX I have had a lump on my right buttock for over a year now and it recently started to get bigger i have been taking augmentin for try and cure it which did not help I have just gone through a weeks course of metronizadole and it is still there the lump is still on my right buttock and now on the crack of my bum
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  115
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for your query.

This is an abscess, and doctor's always first try to treat it with the help of antibiotics (augmentin) being the most common one.

But, you should understand that if antibiotics do not do the job then the best treatment is always 'incision and drainage' (I and D).

If done by an expert this will surely do the job, and prevent any recurrences as well.

This is a small out-patient procedure, not even requiring admission and shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. You will be required to return to the doctor for a few days every day to change your dressing, he will also prescribe a mild pain killer and a course of antibiotics.

Discuss the possibility with your doctor, as this could now be the best option.

I hope I have succeeded in answering your questions, you could write back to us anytime for further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nupur K's  Response

Welcome to the forum, Buttock lumps generally happen due to abscess, cyst, infection, long untreated scar/injury, lipoma, mass, etc. You should have all routine blood tests. Your blood sugar level needs to be assessed. You also need to get clinically assessed to rule out any tumor or lipoma.

If it is an abscess, it can be drained under the supervision of an expert. You will have to wait for the right time. Do not try to punchure it yourself. Antibiotics and analgesics for a week will relief you of your problems.

If it is a tumour, you will need a biopsy, CT or MRI. Get diagnosed well and treated for your ailment. Take care.
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor