• question-icon

Lump in throat and muffled hearing every summer, painful ringing in ear. Dr said stomatitis. Worried ?

hello, i have a few questions for you if you don t mind...off and on all summer i have had a lump in my throat and muffled hearing ...i went to a doctor yesterday and i have sores on the back of my tongue ...she said i have stomatitis ...told me to take some decongestant ...the ringing in my ear is so painful today...i am worried
Thu, 27 Sep 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
Your answers are as follows
off and on all summer complaining of lump in my throat and muffled hearing -
The information provided is suggestive of infection of oral cavity (stomatitis) or throat (pharynx). Now pharynx and ear are connected with a tube called as eustachian tube. The function of this tube is that it equalizes pressure on either side of tympanic membrane. So if there is a infection in pharynx it may involve this tube to cause ear blockade and ringing sensation in ear.
The ringing in ear -- painful -Painful ringing can be seen in acute infection of ear.You may need antibiotics, ear drops and analgesics
However there can be other causes for similar symptoms. I would advise to get a ENT consultation done

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if your need more information on this

With warm regards

Ravinder Sharma
General & Family Physician Dr. Anum Naseem's  Response
Hi
I hope you are feeling better.
Do not worry every thing will be fine.
According to your history this is probably vitamin B12 defieciency,titis media along with some throat infection which can be tonsillitis or pharyngitis.Now as for the muffled hearing and ringing in ear,it is because our throat and ears are connected from inside so if there are more fluids in your mouth which are increased due to tongue sores the fluids goes in ears from inside so you feel ringing and hearing decreases.And due to vitamin defieciency sores appear.
Now this a curable condition and with just proper medication you will just feel fine.
So here whats you need to do:
1.Visit your ENT Specialist who will do a complete examination of your throat,ears and use an instrument to see inside of your throat.
2.He will prescribe antibiotics and vitamin supplements
3.In the mean while before you go for a visit do following:
(i)Take plenty of fluids like tea,coffee,soups etc every 2 hours
(ii)Inhale steam before going to bed
(iii)Eat citrus fruits,lemon,chicken,egg daily
(iv)Keep your self warm.Don't go out in cold wind
4.Avoid stress and relax your body you will feel better.
Good luck and get well soon
Best regards,
Dr.Anum