Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Lump in gum. X-ray shows infection. Leaking pus after root canal. What is wrong?

hi i had a lump in my gum a while ago when i pushed it, it popped i left it foe a few weeks hoping it would go away. it didn t. i then went to the dentist and had a x ray showing i had a infection on the tooth next to my top left front tooth. i dont know the correct name for what i have done to that tooth but i have a steel rod with a cap on it. they said that a root canal would fix it. after i had that done the problem did not go away and now it is leaking pus. what is wrong with it
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  327
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to your history ,the steel rod about which you are talking is a post core which is placed into the canal to support the teeth if there is no crown structure .
It appears there is infection in the teeth which has lead to an abscess formation .
I would advise you to take an x-ray and see your dentist .
May be you need to retreat the teeth by RCT or else if this had lead to resorption of the teeth then it has to be extracted followed by a course of antibitotic and analgesics.
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello and welcome ,
As you have mentioned you have undergone root canal treatment for your upper tooth ,steel rod and cap is called Post and Core preparation and it is done to restore the tooth and it give extra mechanical strength.
root canal procedure devitalises the tooth completely and seals the root apex, any infection post treatment shows the presence of infected nerve tissue in the tooth that spreads apically leading to periodontal abscess
Endo perio lesion is another condition which may lead to formation of the abscess.
i would suggest you to get the abscess drained and root canal treatment repeated for your tooth,followed by a course of antibiotic will help you out .
take care.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
As you have root canal treated tooth in that area , so it can be either infection in Root Canal treated tooth or some gum problem. If root canal treated tooth gets infected again then sometimes bump is there and it is not very painful as the infection is chronic. In such cases, Re-Root Canal of tooth is attempted. It is difficult to give you definite diagnosis without clinical examination and radiographic examination. It is better you go to your dentist and get an x-ray done to confirm the diagnosis.
Answered: Mon, 26 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend

thanks for sharing your concern

You have developed an infection that has led to abscess and draining sinus tract.

the steel rod you are talking about is called post and core. this is done to save a tooth when very little tooth structure is left, by endodontic treatment.

i would recommend you to visit your dentist get an x ray done to see the infection.

accordingly treatment modalities can be suggested.

for now you can start with anti biotic and analgesic. Cap NOVAMOX 1 OD for 03 days. IBUPROFEN for 03 days

do warm saline rinses to reduce infection.

hope this helps

Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor