Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Lump between the gum and lower lip, painful, having tooth sensitivity. Referred to endontic specialist. Suggestions?

I have a bump on my lower jaw line between my gum and lip...whole right side of my face hurts and I have tooth sensitivity in one tooth near the lump and the upper gums hurt as well. been to dentist who took xrays and said he saw nothing but still referred me to an endontic specialist for further eval..I can feel the lump with my finger and it hurts...feels squishy too
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  380
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
  Anonymous's Response
what you are saying sounds like a carious tooth which is associated to abscess. the lesion is known as periapical abscess it is complication of carious tooth. it requires root canal treatment of the affected is advised that you consult a dentist or endodontist-to be precise-for the needfull

it could also be mucocele, it is mainly due to trauma to the ducts of accessory salivary glands present at lower is bulish in color & would be soft when you press it (palpation)....does this lump disappears automatically after meals....f yes then it s definitely mucocele.

consult dentist for physical examination of the lesion & for needful treatment.
Answered: Tue, 25 Dec 2012
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
If you experience sensitivity in teeth along with swelling than it can be abscess.
Is there any discharge from that region??
I think your associated teeth require RCT but before that consult endodontist & rule out exact cause.
If there is no infection in that tooth then it it can be some other pathology like fibroma but that's painless.It can be cyst.So better go for proper diagnosis by consulting endodontist.

Take Care
Answered: Mon, 24 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly's  Response
Hello there...There are two things to this....Firstly, that could be a fibroma/mucocele. Mucocele would have a bluish translucency. Whereas fibroma would appear in the normal color of your mucosa. Both of them are soft to firm to feel on palpation. Both of them occur as a result of local injury or some irritation to that area.
Secondly, any carious tooth present in that area would lead to small swelling that is attributed to spread of infection from the top surface of the tooth to the apical part resulting in collection of pus. This would manifest in the form of swelling. The Endodontists are experts in handling a carious tooth that would require root canal treatment. If the swelling is for the second reason , if root canal is performed the swelling would recede. If the swelling is because of the first reason I gave you, consult a Oral and Maxillofacial Sugreon for its removal.
Answered: Tue, 18 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor