Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Lump below rib cage, near kidney. History of kidney stones. Cyst related to kidney condition?

Hi I observed a lump in the left back of my husband It is below the left rib cage and near the left kidney . My husband suffered from a sharp pain due to stone in the left kidney a few months before. The stone passed away later and doctor suggested to intake more citrus food diet. I am worried now is this lump related to some kidney problem or just a cyst . Can you please suggest something.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  197
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
A lump on the left back can be due to enlargement of the structures/ organs in that region, which are:
Kidney, ureter, soft tissue growth, lymph nodes etc.
You should get an ultrasound done soon.
As you have mentioned that your husband had had a stone in the same kidney, there can be a recurrence of the stone.
a large stone can obstruct the passage of urine from the kidney and cause its enlargement, which can be palpable.
Development of cysts in kidney, however this is not very common after kidney stones.
A kidney tumor can also form a palpable mass.
Other soft tissues in the region like fat, muscle, fibrous tissue can also form a palpable mass.
Lymph nodes in the region can get enlarged due to inflammation or due to maliganancy.
An ultrasound of pelvis along with urine examination is needed as soon as possible/

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Sat, 6 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Urologist Dr. Saurabh Pandya's  Response
hi, kidney lumps have to grow to large size before becoming visible on skin. The lump you are seeing may be from the skin or sub-skin tissues. get checked by a surgeon. If still worried about the kidney, get reviewed by your urologist. stones can recur, so repeated screening is advisable, especially if pain or other symptoms occur. take care.
Answered: Sat, 6 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor