Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Lump behind ear, below the mastoid area, tightness in shoulder area

Hi...I have a lump behind my ear below the mastoid area. It is not a protruding lump but rather a shallow hard lump about the size of a thumb print. It can be felt when pressure is applied. It is not attached to the skin but feels like a bone . It is on my left side only. I have A feeling of tightness in my jaw and some dull aching around the area. I am sure it is not a swollen lymph node as it is not sore to touch. When I apply pressure I can create the jaw sensation/ tightness. I am a 42 year old female. I Do suffer from tightness in that side of my neck/ shoulder area as well.
Asked On : Tue, 1 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  656
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response

I have studied your case.

As per your history it looks swelling of soft tissue or bony benign swelling.
As swelling is not reducing I will advise you to further investigate for the cause of swelling.
I will advise you to do MRI and CT scan Ultrasound of the swelling.
If its collection or benign mass it can be excised.

So you may need blood investigation.
Till time you can take anti-inflammatory and antibiotic if infection is suspected.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care.

Answered: Sun, 30 Mar 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor