Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Lower back pain, visited chiropracter. CT scan shows pars fracture with edema. What can I expect?

Hi Doc, I m 20 years old. I play football, WR to be specific. I was running routes around Jan. 21st. went through the route tree once on each side fine. Came back later that day and did it again, but I felt a shape pain in my low back on the left side. Went a week without doing anything. On the 28th of Jan. I played in a flag game. The first bit I was fine, but later the pain became unbearable. It was clear that I did something serious. I rested it up for several weeks. I then felt somewhat good again, to where I could tolerate it. I got some training in and then it switched sides (from left to right) Again I rested. Then around 2+ months into this deal I go to the chiropractor. He said I have one leg slightly longer than the other and in a few adjustments I should be back to a active life. I thought to myself everyone has 2 different sized legs by some measurement. He did a side poster hip/si adjustment Later that day I notice a crazy amount of low back pain , my hamstring has been super tight. I have no medical insurance, but had a MRI , CT scan done. I have a left side 6mm and right side 2mm acute pars fracture with edema . I was wondering what I can expect and what I can do? I do not have medical insurance to see a specialist, Will this heal on its own? And will I be able to play sports again? Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
hi thanks for yor question.

it's unlikely that your pars fractures are acute in the sense that they have likely existed for sometime or happened on a background of a congential abnormality in that region of yor spine.

if you remove the exacerbating activity. i.e. anything where you are repeatedly hyper extending your spine then your symptoms may improve. a TLSO support orthosis or boston brace can also help if warn for long periods of time. surgery can be performed to bone graft and fix the fractures in resistant cases.

I hope this information helps

best wishes
Answered: Tue, 29 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor