Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Not all patients with visible disc protrusions on the MRI
Surgery is indicated only
* If there is no response to conservative management
* If the neurological symptoms are deteriorating with muscle weakness
* If there is incapacitating leg pain hindering activities of daily living.
The initial management of your problem will be as follows -
* avoid lifting heavy weights
* avoid forward bending activities
* Use a lumbosacral back support
* Intermittent pelvic traction
* Maintaining optimum body weight
to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided.
* Judicious use of analgesics and muscle relaxants.
If all these measures fail to provide you relief, then surgical decompression may be an option.
Hope this information is helpful. Good day.