Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Lower back pain, heaviness in pelvic area. MRI shows disc protrusion at L5-S1. Treatment options?

Hello Dr. !! I am 27 yr old .I have lower back pain for some month. MRI reveal wide based porterocentral disc protrusion at L5-S1 level resulting into partial bilateral neural canalicular narrowing (Left more than right). No disc bulge is seen at any other level in the lumber region I feels ripping sometime at hips and some kind of heaviness in pelvic area.. Please consult me . Thanks!!
Asked On : Tue, 11 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  209
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

The conservative management of low back pain is as follows -

* avoid forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusions
* Use a lumbosacral back support to augment your spinal muscles
* Physiotherapy to strengthen your paravertebral muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided.
* avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
* Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
* analgesics & muscle relaxants as needed

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Fri, 23 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Spine Surgeon Dr. Niranjan Kavadi's  Response
Thank you for your question.

Disc protrusion or bulge is a common MRI finding and unless it correlates with the symptoms, diagnosis of disc herniation or spinal stenosis is not valid. Disc bulges are common findings on MRI in people of your age. Typically disc herniations at L5-S1 lead to sciatic type of leg pain and numbness on the top of foot or toes. Anterior (towards front) disc herniation is rare but can cause pain in abdomen. L5-S1 disc bulge is unlikely to be a cause of your symptoms of pelvic heaviness or low back pain. I would suggest looking for urogenital or gynaecological (in females) causes.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Answered: Fri, 23 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor