Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Lower back pain below ribs. Had painkillers. Is it bruising or could I have damaged by kidneys?

Hi i have been punched in my lower back jus below my ribs. On impact i had an instany agonising pain shoot down my back and through my left leg. And since i have not been able to do anythin without it being extremely painful. Will this just be bruising or could i have damaged my kidneys. Its been 2 days now and even with pain killers the pain hasnt reduced
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
thanks for writing to HCM,
As per your description your pain is due to a blunt impact on your back which is painful and also radiating to your leg.
In this situation we need to see the site of impact of your lower back area for any local swelling, change in skin colour, any bruising. If all of this is present then it is only a localised injury of your back muscles.
Also since the pain is radiating into your leg the chances of back muscles spasms and inflammation are more.

Chances of damage to your kidney are less but if you really want to be sure of it then an ultrasonography of whole abdomen will help you in doing that as it shows kidneys clearly.

If the pain is due to previous reason of muscle injury(soft tissue injury) then localised hot water fomentation & rest should help you.
Or you can take the help of your orthopedic specialist in this case.

I hope this helps
wish you good health
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib's  Response
Welcome to HCM

The pain is originating for the vertebral column that is caused by the compression of the spinal cord and the nerve fibers supplying the left leg mainly sciatic nerve. such pain mainly responds to neurotransmitter blocking agents like carbamazepine or gabapentin. Consult neurologist for better opinion. An MRI may be required to assess the disc position between the vertebra.

Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor