Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Lower back pain and leg pain. Have herniation. Do I need a surgery?

Dear Sir, I am Kaushik Das of 33 yrs age old from Bangalore. I am suffering from low back pain and left leg pain. One month back pain was so severe that I could not even sit as when I stand from sitting position I used to get electrifying nerve pain at my left leg. Finally I did MRI and it states that - 1. L4-L5 Disc annular bulge with superadded broad based eccentric herniation/caudal extrusion, causing thetical and bilateral L5 neural compromise. 2. L5-S1 disc annular bulge with superadded broad based eccentric herniation/extrusions, causing assymetrical thecal and bilateral S1/L5 neural compromises. Anyway my pain now has been reduced somewhat but only at morning when I wake up I feel severe back pain that comes down to my left leg and I only feel good after taking few steps walk slowly. Please suggest me what should I do. I have explained my problem to you. Please suggest whether my problem can be solve with some back strengthening exercise or I need back surgery? Regards, Kaushik Das Bangalore
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  176
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear Kaushik, welcome to HCM.
you are young and have severe symptoms of slipped disc causing nerve compression. it must be affecting your work and must be frustrating.
it is best to discuss the problem with a good spine surgeon , who also does a minimally invasive spinal disc surgery, because he will tell tell you if you can be conserved with exercises or need surgery for sure.
there are good surgeons doing this endoscopic spine surgery as a day care 'walk away soon' procedure.
I hope to have guided you, though not giving definitive therapy.
good luck!
Answered: Sun, 19 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

  User's Response

you need to see a Physical - Therapist soon (though i hope u'd been to him, as its been long now).
you need to take care of your posture(sitting, standing, lying).
you need a thorough physiotherapy assessment and few sessions of treatment
Answered: Wed, 12 Sep 2012
  User's Response
Dear Kaushik Dass ji,
I have seen not only improvement but total cure in many cases with ayurvedic medicines and special procedures. Please rule out surgery.I believe there is no need for it. When there is acute pain please avoid exercise.
Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor