Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Lower abdominal pain. Diagnosed with ovarian cyst. Advised crisanta. Does it effect fertility?

Hi! My name is Raj. My sisters age is 27 years and unmarried. Last few months she has developed a strange lower abdominal pain...after consulting doctor they found that she has a ovarian cyst in her right ovary (size 13mm) and the doctor has advised her to take Crisanta ( Ethinylestradiol Drospirenone ) for 5 months and after that they will again do a sonography to see the condition of the cyst. But now after reading all about the side effects of the medicine my sister is afraid of taking those tablets...Will there be any kind of risk in fertility by taking a contraceptive for such a long period of time for a unmarried girl? She has migraine. What kind of precaution we must take? Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  124
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Raj,

Thanks for your query.

Firstly, oral contraceptive pills prevent pregnancy ONLY TILL SUCH TIME THEY ARE TAKEN. Once these pills are discontinued, the female hormonal balance gets normalized within a month or two and the environment becomes normal for a normal conception.

Further, contraceptive pills can be taken for prolonged periods, even for several years, WITHOUT AFFECTING FERTILITY. It is another matter that the hormones in the pills have certain side effects, which disappear after the pills are stopped. But, Fertility is NOT affected under normal circumstances.

For migraine, she has to take a long course of preventive treatment (for 6-12months of regular/daily dose of combination of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drug and Beta-blockers) which will cure her of migraine once for all.

Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” rating to my answer, to encourage all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Lastly, if you need a detailed and prompt answer, you may post a "Direct Query (Premium)" ADDRESSED PERSONALLY TO ME BY NAME, providing AS MUCH DETAILED INFORMATION about your problem(s) as possible; age/gender; addictions (if any) ; medical history (if any); current medications (if any) and known allergies.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Answered: Thu, 14 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor