Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Lose temper easily, get irritated on slight provocation, regret later. Family history of OCD. Prescribed Lexapro. Should I take it?

Hi I am a 36 year old woman. I tend to loose my temper very fast, am generally irritable and on slightest provocation get snappy, raise my voice at my helpers, kids and husband. I tend to say things which I regret saying later. My anger has started affecting my relationship with my family especially my husband. I think my marriage is crumbling. I have over the years wiped out all the good I did with my anger! My mother has been suffering from OCD since a few years. And I lost my father 2 years back. I was very close to himMost of the time I feel I don t have anyone to share my feelings with because my mother due to her illness doesn t talk much. Anger runs in my family. I have several friends and beauty is I am socially very polite and come across as a very affectionate, affable person! Right now I am very lonely and I am afraid I am going to loose all my relationships. I certainly don t want to end up as my mother! I went to a psychiatrist she prescribed Lexapro 10 mg but i am not sure to take this medicine, whether i was diagnosed correctly. Pl help
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  237
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
I do understand whatever you might be facing and undergoing. Anything in excess is definitely not good and so is the anger if you are feeling that its affecting your relationship. Considering that you are aware of it, makes the job easier for yourself and the therapist to proceed further. Also the easy irritability in the family as well as your mother suffering from OCD is something to be considered as well. Looking at all the above factors, i definitely feel that Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10 mgs is one of the medication of choice and i hope that it should be helping you.
Simultaneously i recommend asking help from your Psychiatrist to help you with anger management skills as well, or to refer you to a trained clinical psychologist who can help you with it. I hope i have answered your query to your satisfaction and if you any more doubts regarding this or any other topic, i would be very glad to offer some help.
Thank you and wish you good.
Answered: Thu, 6 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor