Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Longtime problem of alcohol consumption, depression, under treatment, elevated Gamma GT. Drugs or supplements that can protect the liver?

My son (36yrs) has a longtime problem with alcohol consumption and depression. He is under treatment- presently with Naltrexone and other medicines for depression. He managed lately to maintain sober periods for one-two months and also he seriously reduced the alcoholic intake during the periods when he is drinking. His recent Gamma GT showed a very high figure: 400 (he was not drinking for about three weeks). Are there some drugs or supplements that can protect the liver in his situation and reduce the Gamma GT value?

Thank you!
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, octavian.george1234,
Thanks for contacting HCM. Your son is only 36 years young and he can
have a long productive life if he can completely quit drinking alcohol.
There have been previous studies done in patients who had alcoholic
cirrhosis , when they stooped drinking , they were able to live normal
life eventhough more than half of their liver was damaged. One good
thing about liver, it can regenerate very well once the toxins are no
longer present and alcohol is one such toxin.
You asked about drugs and supplements.
I would recommend Vitamin Super B-Complex , Vit-C 1000 mg, and
Vit-E 800 i.u. daily. Along with a high protein diet , excercise, eating
fresh fruits and vegetables , nuts etc, his health will improve.
Gamma GT stays abnormal for a long time , but it will improve with time.
I wan your son to seek counseling and also AAA meetings.
I wish your son the very best.
Answered: Fri, 19 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor