Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Long term depression and social phobia. On phenelzine. Bipolar 2 disorder?

Hello, i am wondering if i may suffer from bipolar 2 disorder? I have had treatment resistant depression for approx 17 years, tried many antidepressants and none of which have really kept me stable. I have had 3 episodes of euphoria when coming off an antidepressant or starting one, only to lead to feeling depressed again. Im currently taking phenelzine which made me feels great for about 7 weeks but now i am feeling very flat again and my social phobia has set in.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi there, thanks for asking. As you have mentioned, depression part of Bipolar II situation is the hardest part. Psychotherapy can deal with this part very well. You can ask your psychiatrist to do it by himself or introduce you to a clinical psychologist who does CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) or psychodynamic psychotherapy to deal with that depression. Adjusting the dose of phenelzine would also be helpful, and considered to be the sole way of therapy or a combination with talk session. Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given, it could be possible that you could be having a bipolar depression. The usual treatment for depression is as below
The possible treatment options are :
1) Medications: Sertraline, venlafaxine, fluoxetine, agomelatonin etc.
2) Talk therapy: Cognitive behavioural therapy.
3) Others: Diet and regular exercise.
I am sure you have gone through the below steps by now. Now that it is lasting for 17 years the above therapies will not be very useful for you. You need to add up quetiapine or lithium or lamotrigine. Even ECT is a good option for you.If not improving valproate and carbamazepine can also help
But please do attend a psychiatrist who can talk to you in much details about your problem and come to a definite diagnosis.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Dec 2015
You are more apprehensive and anxious than the problem itself.
Again you are suffering for 17 years and learned very little.
First of all, anti depressnts alone cannot cure your social phobia.
Needs meditation and calming exercises.
Self imagery, Prayer, Positive thinking, Cognitive Behvioral Therapy, Logo Therapy can help you.
Stop worrying and face the realities. Consult a psychologist soon.
Wishing a happy future.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor