• question-icon

Lips feels numb, swollen and muscles get weak. Light headed and numb. Diagnosis?

hi, for a long while now my muscles seem to feel weak and for the last couple days my lips have an episode where they feel numb and almost like swelled up(but they re not).....well today at work (not long after I got there), I got lightheaded and at the same time, my legs and feet went numb....what in the world is wrong with me? I feel as though my body is giving up on me and my feet are still a little tingley.....
Mon, 30 Jul 2012
's  Response
Hello
welcome to health care magic
Numbness of legs or extremities is a common phenomenon which is associated with undue compression of the sensory and motor nerves supplying to the lower extremities.
Symptoms like numb hands and feet should be taken seriously as they could sometimes be signs of some underlying medical condition.Treatment comprises of taking calcium and vitamin supplements or consuming a diet rich in calcium..Changing the position of the legs frequently, talking a walk, etc can also increase blood circulation to the lower extremities and reduce the frequency of tingling and numbness. In serious cases associated with spinal compression, surgical intervention is essential.Diabetes is one of the most common diseases that strike both men and women, young and old. Symptoms of this disease can sometimes be hard to figure out unless a person has undergone several laboratory tests to confirm the presence of this disease in the body. These symptoms are caused by several factors including hyperventilation, peripheral neuropathy, hypoglycemia, and lip numbness in diabetes among others.Peripheral neuropathy or sensory nerve damage can also be a factor of numb lips diabetes, tingling, pinching, or sudden pain. Generally, when a person is suffering from nerve damage, numbness sometimes begin in the feet moving up to the legs and can even result to difficulty in walking and keeping balance.
Hypoglycemia can also be a cause for numbness in lips. It is usually rooted from several underlying diseases including diabetes. Hypoglycemia can lead to even serious complications if left untreated. Diagnostic tests are normally done to determine the levels of blood calcium and phosphate in the body. However, to make sure that diabetes and other possible diseases are avoided, it is important to consult with your doctor at the onset of the symptoms.
thanks
mail me at payalrawatchauhan16@gmail.com
General & Family Physician Dr. Arif Khan S's  Response
dear patient,

Kindly check your blood pressure when you feel same kind of discomfort again . If it's normal it's probably a vitamin deficiency kindly check your bp first