Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Lesion formed on the gum. Have gingivitis. What to do?

I have recently had a bout with gingivitis . I have not gone for my deep pocket cleaning due to the cost. Now I noticed a lesion or sore forming on my gum that started out with a small white head kind of looking like a zit . but not its a little bigger and rounded but kind of red. It doesnt hurt nor does it bleed . Its annoying and concerning to me. What do you think it could be?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  182
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hi and welcome,
Your history says you have developed an abscess on the gums which can either be a Gingival Abscess that is related to gums or

It can be a Periodontal abscess that is tooth related , infection from the tooth may drain to the surrounding tissue in the form of abscess.

This can be confirmed only after clinical examination and by taking a X RAY .

if it is gingival abscess , you need deep currettage of the gums to remove the irritants from the gum pocket and excise the lesion followed by a course of antibiotics.

if it is a periodontal abscess , the underlying tooth needs to be treated and abscess drained .
i hope this helps,
take care.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response

There are a variety of conditions that can cause your gums to be sore.Some ailments
are of dental origin and some are not. You may need professional help from a dentist or
physician.Flossing too vigorously can also physically injure your gums and cause bleeding and
pain and sores.If the condition gets worse, see your dentist immediately.Gargle with warm salt water off and on throughout the day as needed. Rinse your mouth out with fresh water when you're done.Brush your teeth at least twice a day, but use a medium-bristled brush. Use a good toothbrush.Use ice on your gums to ease the pain.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to the history it suggests you have developed periodontal abscess or gingival abscess .
Infection in the gingiva is the cause for the formation of lesion .
This has to be treated by draining the abscess and curettage if required should be done . As you said there is formation of small white head over the lesion it is suggesting of erupting abscess .
I would advise you to see your dentist for clinical examination and this has to be followed by a course of antibiotics and analgesics .
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend
since you already know that you have gingivitis you must maintain good oral hygiene gingivitis can be completely cured taking following measures by
brushing twice daily ( if possible after each meal),
using a mouthwash periodically,
if required getting scaling done periodically ,
gingivitis is mild and reversible condition but periodontitis is alarming which causes pocket , pus,
(suppuration) and ultimately a bone damage . when the surrounding bone damages tooth becomes loose and falls off.
now coming to the lesion on your gum, this could be a simple gigival fibrosis as you said you have no pain there but if there is associated pain or puss then that shows evidence of pocket there .
i would suggest you just do warm saline rinse for three to five days thrice daily . keep it under observation for five days, if you find any changes report the dentist else needn't worry it will regress on its own,
remember you have to look for these changes in the lesion that is whether it is increasing in size , becoming painful, redness , swelling and bleeding etc then visit the dentist else need not worry
it will regress
thank you

Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Gingival abscess is a dental problem where a pus-filled sac is formed in the gingiva of the teeth.
People who have cavities or toothaches can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), as needed for relief of pain and inflammation. These medications will help the pain, but they will not treat the infection.
If an abscess ruptures by itself, warm-water rinses will help cleanse the mouth and encourage drainage. Even then, a follow-up visit to your dentist is important.
You can contact me again directly through my profile.
Dr Neha Gupta
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor