Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Legally blind, has heart problems from alcohol. How to help him ?

hello i live and am in lovewith a non abusive alcoholic. hes goti dont know what to do to help alot of physical problems he is legally blind he has had surgery and it didnt work. i assume he has heart problems with all the alcohol. His mom died about 4 years ago and i was afraid he would commit suicide . we were just friend then .I stepped in to help but his drinking got worse now i dont know what to do to help
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  18
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Since you say that your boyfriend's drinking has become excessive and he has multiple other stressors too, it would be best to get him professional help. I would advise you to take him to a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

There are effective treatment options which can enhance his motivation (such as motivational enhancement therapy), help him gain control over his drinking and prevent relapses. Treatment yields best results with a combination of medication and psychological therapies. So, I would advise you to motivate and convince him to see a psychiatrist for help.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 1 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor