Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Leg below knee bruised after falling. Shin swollen, painful when standing after having it elevated. Solution?

I fell down a flight of wooden stairs about 4 days ago. My entire right leg below my knee is bruised. The problem is that there is a large area of my shin (a sort of horizontal) band where it smacked the edge of a stair that is swollen and hard. It is very painful, especially when I stand after having it elevated. It feels like my skin is streching beyond capacity there (similar to when I was on a long flight once and my legs swelled). I try to keep it elevated and iced as much as possible but have had to go to work where I sit for 8 hours.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  217
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
It could be broken bone or soft tissue injury.Without ray it is difficult to differentiate fracture from others. I suggest you consult an orthopaedician for clinical examination. You may get Xray under his/her supervision.
Meanwhile avoid putting weight and rest well.You can take antiinflammatory drug like ibuprofen to reduce pain and swelling.
Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Sat, 20 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Radiologist Dr. Indu Kumar's  Response
Apr 2014
Thanks for writing to HCM

First you need X-rays of your shin bone AP and lateral view to exclude any bony injuries.
You can take analgesics and serratopeptidase for your symptoms.You can also take proton pump inhibitors liks pantoprazole if you have acidity problem because analgesics causes gastric irritation.

Take Care
Dr.Indu Bhushan
Answered: Sat, 20 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor