Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Left leg 8 to 9 inch short due to polio attack in childhood. Any surgery to correct it ?

Respected Sir, My name is AAAAA , I would like to ask about my friend who s left leg is 8 to 9 inch short due to polio attack in childhood, so is there any surgury which can be done. I also want to tell you that righ now he can move his leg and feel every thing, its just that its short, If you can answer me my mail address is YYYY@YYYY I will be very thankful to you.
Asked On : Fri, 2 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  58
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello. I'm sorry about your friend's situation. It is possible to lengthen a shortened limb surgically. These techniques -- which are based on the pioneering work of the Russian physician Gavriil Ilizarov -- can be performed at any age. Bone lengthening is achieved through the use of an apparatus that is attached to the leg and gradually "stretched" to attain the desired length. This process requires fracturing the patient's limb at the outset, it is quite painful, and it takes many months to complete. Furthermore, there are limitations to how much additional length can be added to a shortened limb. Finally, all contractures and deformities (a frequent consequence of polio) must be addressed before the Ilizarov procedure can be started.
Your friend should see his physician to discuss all options for dealing with this disability.
I hope that answers your question!
Answered: Sat, 3 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor