Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Large, soft painful lump on the back of earlobe with red marks, ear ache radiating to neck. Any ideas?

What could it mean when there is a fairly large, soft to the touch, lump on the back of the earlobe that only has been hurting for about an hour now, but doesnt no how long it has been there. It doesn t pop and it has two little red marks but its not an open wound. When pushed, it looks almost like a black ring perhaps underneith; very vague in look. Has a earache and the pain is also told to be running down the side of the neck .
Asked On : Sat, 29 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

Any lump in the ear should be investigated and only then a proper diagnosis can be made and treatment initiated.

If the lump is painful you may try a course of antibiotic and anti inflammatory medication for a few days and see if that improves the swelling

You may get evaluated with an ENT consultant who may do a proper examination and may request for a test called the FNAC to get a diagnosis

If these do not help you may perform a biopsy of the lesion to get a permanent cure

meanwhile do not press or tease the lump

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Thu, 29 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor