Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Large lump with a non open slit in the middle located at the end of tail bone. What could this be ?

my fiance is a 27 year old male, approximately 250 lbs and has a larger than quarter size lump with a non open slit in the middle located at the end of his tail bone right about the crack of his behind. He states that it is not painful but feels a small amount of pain if you press on it. States it has been there several years. What could this be?
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello young,

I can understand your concern for your fiancee. Since it has been for long and it neither hurts or pains does not mean you can ignore the problem. Your fiancee should get clinically examined by a surgeon. It sounds like a cyst.

If the doctor diagnosis it to be a cyst. A sample of the fluid will be taken out in a biopsy and sent for histopathological examination. If the result is fine the doctor will make a small incision and perform drainage of the lump. He may give an injection for (local anaesthesia). Oral antibiotics and ibuprofen can be given. Your fiancee will get fine.

In case it is diagnosed to be a tumour. The malignancy of the tumour will have to be ruled out to continue the treatment. Your fiancee may need a biopsy, blood tests and if required some radiological examinations. Do see a surgeon. Have a good day, take care.
Answered: Fri, 28 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Although there can be many reasons for the lump at the end of tail bone but going by your history and symptoms,it appears to be due to pilonidal cyst or abscess.
Consult a surgeon for the diagnosis.
Surgical removal is the answer if it is diagnosed as pilonidal cyst or abscess.
Answered: Fri, 28 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor