Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Large lump on the thigh. What is it?

I have a large lump that protrudes on my upper right thigh toward the outside. It doesn t hurt, it is hard and kind of oblong at least 3-4 inches. Don t have it on the other side and have never noticed it until recently. It is raised up but not 3-4 inches, that is the length.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  381
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
The swelling on your thigh has following possibilities.
NO1.Lipoma ,it a benign fatty tissue tumor.
No 2.Rabdomyoma ,it is a benign tumor of skeltal muscle.
No 3.Rabdomyosarcoma,it is malignant tumor of skeltal.
I would suggest you to consult an orthopediac surgeon,who may be able to examine you to determine, what exactly this swelling is.He may advice you few investigation like FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology.
Hope this answers your .question.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Arshad Hussain's  Response
Dear patient when we try to make the differential diagnosis of a swelling or lump any where in the body ,two things are mainly considered
1 Origin of the swelling i.e from whic tissue or organ the swelling arises, it could be skin, subcutaneous fascia, adipose tissue (fat), mucle, nerve, blood vessel, lymphnode, bone, internal organs or any oyher tissue or organ relevant to the site
2. cause of the swelling i.e what is the process that has given rise to the swelling in that particular tissue or organ, it could be infection and inflammation, trauma, neoplastic process, degenerative process, any vascular phenomenon, abnormal migration through a weak area, developmental anomoly or any congenital proces. Accordingly a long list of diagnosises comes in to the mind of a doctor of which he tries to rule out some and consider others by taking a proper clinical history, and doing compleate physical examination of the patient and then tries to confirm one particular diagnosis by doing appropriate investigations. In your case the swelling could be a large inguinal lymphnode, lypoma, inguinal/femoral hernia, ectopic or undescented inguinal testes, or any bony swelling from the upper end of thigh bone or hip bone . As you say that the swelling is hard and painless, such swellings are generally of more concern ,so what i suggest you is that you better have have a direct consultation with a doctor especially a surgeon who can do a proper clinical examination of the swelling ,take a relevant history from you and will then advise you required investigations, which may include, haemogram with general blood picture, X-RAY THIGH and pelvis, Ultrasound of the abdomen pelvis and swelling, FNAC,and Biopsy or any other relevant test
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor