Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Large bruise on inner thigh, large tender lump post fall. Blood clot?

My husband had a nasty fall a couple of weeks ago and, in turn, got a very large bruise on his inner thigh. The bruise is nearly gone, but he noticed a there is a quite large bump in the area where the bruise was. It is hard to the touch and a little tender. I m worried this could be a blood clot. What could this be? Should he see his doctor?
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  215
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
Following a nasty fall, a large bruise subsequently turning into a large bump in ?soft area of the thigh (muscles) is most likely to be a muscle injury followed by hematoma formation. Also you have mentioned it as hard and tender to touch.

If its been a while and its still tender (as you have told) then I suggest he consults an orthopedic surgeon who may get an ultrasound of the region. Ultrasound scan will show any muscle injury or blood clot within the muscles.
An X ray may also be indicated if your doctor feels it necessary after having examined the region.

If there is a small clot, it will resolve on its own. Should there be a larger clot a simple needle aspiration will treat the problem. He will also be given pain killers and antibiotics if required.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor