Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Large boil on the nape, advised surgery to drain pus. Any other way to drain it ?

hi doctor, may baby is 1 year old, and he has a very large boil , almost same size of an egg on his nape , the boil got no head so we went to the doctor who said hell do a surgery to drain the pus out, but my mother in law is hesitant to let the baby undergo such procedure.. is there another way aside from the surgery to make the head appear.. any ointment to be applied on the area?.. please help
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Thank you for your query
For an abscess the ideal treatment is drainage. It is safe. If you can convince his grandmother then it will be great. You can give antibiotics and wait for it to rupture itself, but this is more dangerous than the surgery. It can spread and can reach the blood stream too (sepsis) which can be life threatening. You should get the surgery done. It is impossible to tell what product to apply on the abscess itself. You should consult a pediatric surgeon for the same
Hope that solved your query
God bless you
Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor