Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Lab tests show high SGPT. Had chronic Hepatitis B. Took medication. How to reduce SGPT to 50?

good evening,,i am 45 yrs old,a seafarer,,last jan 15 2013 i was undergoing a medical examination as per lab test results,some are cholesterol is 255,, LDL 173,, SGPT is 116 ,hepa b reactive..HBeAG is non-reactive,,so the doctor advised me to repeat my sgpt the following week,,so i did a second test,,but the result was more alarming because it reads 133 ,then 147,,at that time i was advise to see a gastro specialist @ requested me to have a fibro-scan @ it was found out that i had chronic hepatitis b ,,so gastro prescribed a med ( URSOLIV ) UCDA for 10 days and repeated my sgpt test @ it reads 102 ,then 98 then 92 then the last time i did another test it was 88,,from the time it reads 102 , i started to have a strict diet @ exercise @ with the absence of URSOLIV question is,,,will it be possible to lower my sgpt to normal or even to 50 which is our company s cut-off value? thamk you very much
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  137
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

You are having chronic hepatitis B and dyslipidemia and for which you require few investigations and then treatment
1.Blood tests- HBVDNA (quantitative), Anti HBe antibody, Anti HCV antibody
2. Upload report of fibroscan, see for the degree of fibrosis
3. If you are overweight then do regular exercise, take low fat and low caloric diet to reduce your weight
4. Check your blood pressure and blood sugars levels, if deranged then they should be treated accordingly
5.Avoid alcohol if you do take
6. If there is significant fibrosis you also need to get endoscopy examination to see for any varix

SGPT will be normalised once the cause of it's elevation is treated which is chronic hepatitis B

So get these tests and evaluation and upload these reports or discuss with your treating doctor

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Answered: Wed, 17 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor