Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

LFT showed high values, have reduced alcohol consumption, on diet suggested by physician. How long will it take to recover?

sir , I am Mukesh Kesarwani , 42 yrs of age . According to my LFT Serum Bilirubin is 1.57 , SGPT - 123 and SGOT - 84 . I am a frequent drinker and consume about 150 ml alcohol almost daily . I am fond of good spicy food espesially non -vegitarian . my hieght is 6 2 and my body weight is 79 kg . I am completely on the diet as prescribed by my physician . How long it will take to recover and i will be able to drink and have the food i m passionate for
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  78
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hello Mr.Mukesh,

You said you take alcohol daily and your LFT showed mild increase in Bilirubin levels and liver enzyme levels. It indicates that your liver had some injury due to your alcohol intake. The serum bilirubin levels and liver enzymes levels will revert back to normal in few days. But taking alcohol in future may again cause elevation of bilirubin and liver enzymes.

Daily alcohol intake may cause Cirrhosis of liver with Portal Hypertension due to which you will have permanent liver failure and its dangerous to life.

About the food, yeah you can take spicy food if you don't have any Gastritis problem. But if you develop Cirrhosis and portal hypertension, you need to take low salt and less spicy food.

My advice is to stop taking alcohol and be on follow up with your physician.
Answered: Fri, 26 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor