Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Knuckle slipped out of place. Pain in the finger with swelling and discoloration. Ligament tear?

I was cooking and really doing nothing straing with my hand , I went to make a fist like close my fingers together and the knuckle at the top of my hand felt like it was out of place. Now it feels like I pulled a ligament or something and its swollen and black and blue. I can move my finger but when I do its extremely painful! What is going on with finger?
Asked On : Tue, 3 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  417
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response


The fingers getting swollen and turning black and blue are not a good sign. You need an immediate X-ray of your fingers to look for any hairline crack or even injury to a blood vessel or nerve. Please go the ER and get this done as soon as possible.

Take over the counter painkiller like Tylenol for immediate relief of pain.

I wish you speedy recovery.


Answered: Tue, 3 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor