Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Kneecap hit, severe pain. Dent formed, knee sore. Should I get it checked?

Hi I am 49 yrs old about 180 lbs I am in construction and run a big machine while climbing down I somehow really hit my kneecap on the lower step and the pain was awful immediately,could not even move but seemed better as time went on. when I got home from work last night notices a dent in my knee cap.knee is sore but not to say painful.should I have it checked out or what can you tell me Thank You
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  77
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Based on the description of symptoms , I suspect a fracture of the patella ( a dent in knee cap could be a fracture).

An xray is mandatory to diagnose the bony injury to the patella.

In the meantime, follow the below mentioned general guidelines -

* Rest to the injured part and don’t involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area
* Elevation of the limb
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications

Consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor